My process for restoration is to completely disassemble every part and restore each component, including the switches and gauges. After complete disassembly, I sent the body to be sandblasted on the bottom and sodablasted on the body sheet metal.
Fortunately, because of the low mileage and the salt-free climate, I was able to clean and lube most of the cables and levers, including the brake assemblies, as most are no longer available.
I pulled the engine apart and found that the two outboard bearings on the fan end of the engine were ground into little pieces, which caused the grinding noise. I also found the pistons and cylinder walls to be scored, which caused the knocking noise.
Two men from the Subaru 360 Club recently contracted with Wiseco Piston Co. to make 50 sets of replacement pistons, and we obtained one of the first sets. The cylinders were bored .040 over, and the new pistons were installed along with the crankshaft bearings, gaskets and seals. Thankfully, these engine parts were still available from Subaru Parts.
We proceeded to service or restore all the engine accessories, including painting, and then set the power plant aside for future installation.
After returning the truck from the media blasting, Jeremy from our body shop took over and primed the body. He then painted the undercarriage gloss black and the inside of the cab Gard Red – the color we had chosen for the outside.
I returned the truck to the service department, where I installed the power plant, including the wiring, cables, hoses, shift linkage, fuel tank and lines, exhaust system, and the heater ducts and controls.
I then installed the front suspension and steering and completely refreshed the brake system. The dashboard, wiring, and controls were installed in the cab, and at this point I was able to test-drive the truck to work out any adjustments that needed to be made.
(4.4 based on 22 ratings)