Legacy and Outback have new “faces” as well as enhanced technology and performance features.
The 2008 Legacy and Outback models offer revised exterior and interior styling along with new safety and performance features. Refreshed styling emphasizes the premium nature of the vehicles. Feature highlights include the expansion of the Subaru stability control system (Vehicle Dynamics Control -- VDC) to more models and the addition of a six-cylinder model to the Legacy lineup.
Outback’s freshened appearance does not preclude its traditional capabilities as a versatile vehicle. It has gained a more rugged appearance with a revised grille, fenders, hood, and wheels (turbocharged and six-cylinder models). Ride height (up to 8.7 inches, depending on model) from its heavy-duty raised suspension remains superlative. And the heart of the Outback driveline (as well as the core of its active-safety capabilities) is a Subaru four- or six-cylinder Boxer engine and Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive.
Other driveline features available in some models include:
- Automatic transmission with SPORTSHIFT® manual control
- Subaru Intelligent Drive (SI-DRIVE), which enables the engine/transmission to function in three different modes (Intelligent, Sport, and Sport Sharp)
- VDC, which helps the driver retain handling control through management of the engine and the braking system
Other features for 2008 include:
- Redesigned instrument panel
- Electroluminescent instrument panels on turbocharged and six-cylinder models
- Choice between XM® and SIRIUS® Satellite Radio as an accessory
- Standard tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- Multifunction steering wheel on premium models, with controls for the audio system, cruise control, multi-information display, and SI-DRIVE
- Integrated key fob, with the key and fob in one unit
- Standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System across the model line