Benefiting from revisions and enhanced features similar to those in the Outback models, Legacy also has a new flagship model – the Legacy 3.0 R Limited. Model-line changes include revised grille and front sheet metal, new headlights and taillights, and new front and rear bumper fascias. Front and rear overhangs have been reduced, too. These changes provide a sportier and more sophisticated appearance.
The 3.0 R Limited is the first six-cylinder Legacy model for the North American market. It features a paddle-shift transmission with a new “downshift blipping control,” which matches engine revs to road speed when shifting to a lower gear. In doing so, it mimics a well-shifted manual transmission. Other special features include a Bilstein Sport Suspension (though not inverted like the 2.5 GT spec.B) and 18-inch wheels and 215/45 R18 Bridgestone Potenza tires.
Highlights of the 2008 Subaru Legacy lineup include:
- Redesigned instrument panel
- Electroluminescent instrument panels on turbocharged and six-cylinder models
- Choice between XM® and SIRIUS® Satellite Radio as an accessory
- Standard tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- Multifunction steering wheel on premium models, with controls for the audio system, cruise control, multi-information display, and SI-DRIVE
- Integrated key fob
- 60/40 split flat-folding rear seatback
- Standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Available automatic transmission with SPORTSHIFT® manual control
- Available SI-DRIVE
- Available VDC
Building upon Subaru tradition, the changes for 2008 only enhance the award-winning Outback and Legacy models. These refreshed vehicles retain Subaru Core Technology (Boxer engine, Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, four-wheel long-travel independent suspension, and rigid chassis construction) and Subaru Safety Technology.
The 2008 Outback and Legacy models will be available later this year.