|About 2 percent of human history has taken place since the advent of writing. Archaeology is the key to learning about the other 98 percent!
A resident of Cortez, Colorado, Subaru owner Mark Varien lives in an archaeologist’s playground – nestled between the mountains and desert of southwestern Colorado.
“I first came to the Four Corners region in 1979 to work as a dig bum on the Dolores Archaeological Project – the largest project ever conducted in the United States,” he said. “I worked with a large team of archaeologists to salvage information from ancestral Pueblo Indian sites that were being destroyed by the construction of a dam on the Dolores River in southwestern Colorado.”
In 1987, Varien joined the Crow Canyon Archaeological Center as a research archaeologist. Crow Canyon is dedicated to research, education, and preservation of the rich history of the ancient Pueblo Indians – or Anasazi – who lived on the mesa tops and in the cliff dwellings more than 700 years ago.
“The canyon country that has the highest density of archaeological sites anywhere in America is right outside our door,” he said.
Varien works as the center’s research and education chair. Since 1983, more than 60,000 school-aged students and adults have participated in Crow Canyon programs, helping the center to conduct its research deep into the history of Pueblo Indian Society.
Varien’s 2003 Subaru Forester has proved to be a reliable partner in work and play.
“My Subaru provides comfortable travel on the highways and can get me where I need to go when I get off the pavement,” he said. “I can haul friends and the gear I need. It keeps me safe on snow-packed roads, and has always gotten me back home from trips into the canyons.”
Learn more about the Crow Canyon Archaeological Center.