I was pleasantly surprised at how similar the 2014 felt to my 2004. Steering was responsive. Brakes were smooth, and the pedals didn’t
stick. It sounded like my Vixey, and it reacted like her, too.
This Forester had CVT. The way I understand it is, it has one gear, not many, but it can perform at any speed, allocating power when you need it. The result is a smooth transition where you would normally feel a gear shift.
So, when I had to merge onto I-93,
that smooth transition was perfect
to be able to get the power I needed.
Scary? Yes. But I felt safer because I knew the car could handle it.
When Margo Romanowski and Tom Knight drove the new Forester, their driving experiences were uniquely their own. When you take a test-drive, here are a few things to keep in mind in order to give it a thorough evaluation.
- Drive on different types of roads and at varying speeds
- If you have a regular commute, be sure to retrace those roadways for an apples-to-apples comparison with your current vehicle
- During your experience, take note of:
- Exterior design – what you like and what you don’t
- Exterior features – how useful, and which ones are need-to-have, nice-to-have, and not required
- Entrance/egress – overall ease and any hindrances
- Interior design – what you like and what you don’t
- Seating – comfort and ease of adjustment
- Instrument panel – legibility, comprehensiveness, and ease of use
- Controls – positioning and ease of use
- Audio system and electronics – positioning and ease of use
- Storage and cargo-hauling/versatility – whether the vehicle will easily handle your typical cargo load
- During your test-drive, take note of:
- Steering – steering ease, how tightly the vehicle turns, feel of the road
- Handling/cornering – level of control, feeling of precision
- Ride comfort – long and short distances
- Visibility – compare to current vehicle
- Acceleration – normal driving and full-throttle
- Braking – smoothness, directional control, pedal reaction
- Drivability (engine and transmission) – smoothness at all speeds